Monday, December 7, 2015

Uh Oh, Looks Like Some Kind of Political Rant

There was some political discussion on File 770 tonight. There was talk about an issue that troubles me – using empathy as a litmus test for good/evil (and/or conservative/liberal). Probably because I just wrote a story about weaponized empathy. 
I have this brain implant that sends me to the kitchen for a nice cup of tea whenever I formulate a decision to get into political discussions on the internet, but I think I can sneak around it for a couple of paragraphs. I would vote for the Jozebo Act right now. I believe we should do what we can to ensure all the biologically divergent forms of humanity survive and flourish. A hundred years ago, society didn’t have much use for the kind of people who are currently celebrated for their computer skills. Musical talent wouldn’t do you much good before the invention of musical instruments, or notation, or recording. Nobody ever had to hit a thrown ball with a stick for any kind of rational reason until a couple hundred years ago, and nobody knows how many excellent batters have been born and died, unrecognized.
So we should probably keep everyone alive and healthy to the extent possible. Because it’s the right thing to do, but if we need something more formal and scientific, how about: Just in case we need their skills and immunities in the future. Or their HeLa cells. Or their bright smile and sense of humor. Or their talent at something you haven’t heard of yet. Or the value they can add to society and culture as an alternative to procreating. I guess that translates to “liberal.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment