Saturday, December 5, 2015

What I'm Listening to Instead of the Yubnub Song

During my recent mental re-watch of Star Wars, I found myself celebrating the fact I wasn’t listening to the yubnub song, so I thought I would go look for some science fiction songs I like better. I found these:

1.  Flash!  Aaaah-aaaaah! He saved every one of us!
A majestic number by Queen.


2.       Science fiction, double feature.
From the Rocky Horror Picture Show -- ever pause during the credits to listen to the reprise?


3.       Reach out and ta-ta-ta-take it!
Heavy Metal was kind of a forgettable animated movie, but it did have a respectable soundtrack featuring Blue Oyster Cult, Journey, Sammy Hagar, Devo, et al. My favorite cut on it was Reach Out by Cheap Trick.


4.       John Carpenter’s theme for Escape From New York.
From the early days of synthesizers. I especially love that extra high-pitched one sneaking in toward the end of the first track.


5.  Everything in Guardians of the Galaxy is great. Which representative track to select? I think I’ll go with the Raspberries.


6.       Some of you may be thinking “Charon, by heading to Guardians of the Galaxy, you’re starting to get into songs that aren’t actually science fiction yet happened to be in science fiction moves.”  And in reply, I nod my head, reminding you it’s still better than the yubnub song. Here’s Portishead’s Roads from the Tank Girl soundtrack.


7. This list is looking kind of elderly. Let’s young it up with some Daft Punk from the Tron remake.




No comments:

Post a Comment