Monday, May 16, 2016

Nebula Winners -- Uprooted and Updraft

I’ve made a horrible mistake, in that I confused Naomi Kritzer with Naomi Novik in at least one blog post. I have no excuse for not keeping better track of all the various Naomis in my zone, and in fact I believe I owe at least one of them a birthday dinner.

Naomi Kritzer wrote Cat Pictures, Please, which did not win a Nebula, but it is going to win a Hugo. I liked it so much I've linked it twice.  I follow this Naomi on Facebook. She is a writer who is Going Places, mark my words!

Naomi Novik wrote Uprooted, which won the Nebula for best novel and which I partially read several months ago. It starts out impersonating a Grimm fairytale set in Poland, and then turns into a torrid submissive-female fantasy; I’m not really into that so I deleted it off my Kindle and moved on. I can’t figure out if this is a story for people who loved Twilight or people who hated it and would rather see it with more Polish magic-users, but I can tell you that it’s definitely not a story for me.


I'm several chapters into Updraft by Fran Wilde, winner of the Andre Norton award for YA. It takes place in an unusual civilization where everyone’s aerial and flies around on big handcrafted wings. Our heroine does something brave and dumb, thus getting herself into the mysterious order of mystery. A very gentle book for people who like feathery fantasy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment