Thursday, June 16, 2016

Voting for the Hugos: Abstentions, Fan Writing and Campbell

I had some kind of … is there a word for negative epiphany? There should be.  It had to do with my diminished anger for the Sad and Rabid Puppies this year.

Last year, I read all the various attacks and hit pieces, and found most of them were substantiated, but not all. I gave the Puppies a fair hearing in that I read the nominated works with an open mind, but they didn’t convince me they’re part of some kind of new art trend toward dorky adrenalin-based non-dystopian sci fi. Which is a good thing, because that’s what I’m writing, and I don’t want to be part of a trend that has a bunch of people that go out of their way to hate on greater than 50% of humanity in it. I try to avoid standing next to people like that whenever possible. 

I do dislike certain of the human and corporate Puppy entities who appeared for all intents and purposes to be orchestrating the the awards last year so as to shut out the most successful indie in years while suckering innocent science fiction readers with “hugo winner” blurbs on the covers of brain-meltingly horrible prose. 

OMG!  I want that in my epitaph!  “She wrote brain-meltingly horrible prose.”  Anyway.

Since whatever new voting scheme is unveiled at Midamericon2 will negate future shenanigans, and since I'm in a good mood from not having to read anything by John C. Wright this year, I don't really care about the slates for these categories. I'm leaning more toward abstaining than no-awarding -- let the people who know/care enough to have an opinion work it out. 
BEST EDITOR – SHORT FORM (1891 ballots)
Editors are for corporate scoundrels; abstaining. 
BEST EDITOR – LONG FORM (1764 ballots)
Toni Weisskopf. This is an “okay, you were technically right” vote to compensate for my “no award” last year, which should have been an abstain. Then after I get done voting for her, I’ll get back to abstaining.
BEST SEMIPROZINE (1457 ballots)
Abstaining, but I’m really glad that I now know what semiprozines are, and have read some of them.
BEST FANZINE (1455 ballots)
  • File 770 edited by Mike Glyer
My best comment I’ve ever posted there was a filk that started “My pappy said hon, you’re gonna drive me to drinkin’ if you don’t stop clickin’ that pixel scroll linkin’ …” It wanders amidst a massive galaxy of comments even more erudite and brilliant, sucking its thumb for comfort.
BEST FANCAST (1267 ballots)
Abstaining
BEST FAN WRITER (1568 ballots)
  • Mike Glyer
Mr. Glyer does journalism right. He covers everything and more. He’s not afraid to post both sides of controversies and yet he stands firmly behind good ideas, such as inclusion, and not going out of your way to piss off <50% of humanity. Plus he can brain real good, and his cites are solid. If Gandalf were a Ravenclaw, he’d be Mike Glyer.

As a result, intelligent and thoughtful people comment on his news (along with a few thugs like I), making it a wonderous repository of lore. You can go there and briefly mention some fragment of a long-since-almost-forgotten speculative fiction thing and someone will pipe up with the rest of the reference. That’s what happens when you do journalism, and comment moderation, right.
JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (1922 ballots)
  • Andy Weir *

Dammit, give him a Hugo already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment