Sunday, July 31, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I’m in a celebratory mood. Today I got to the half-mark of my trilogy. I’m halfway done with book two, which leaves only 1.5 more books to write before I can go off and write something else.

So I celebrated by loading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child onto my new Kindle Fire and heading to a nearby Thai restaurant that does fried kombucha [edit- kabocha (derp)] – which is the closest thing I could find to pumpkin pasties.

And now I’m done reading – fastest Harry Potter fix yet.  It was bittersweet, and I’ll try not to spoil it too much. The story is about Harry’s kid Albus and Draco’s kid Scorpius, sharing an unlikely friendship that includes time-travel, in which they try to save Cedric Diggory from the his demise at the Tri Wizard Tournament and end up having more of an Ebeneezer Scrooge type experience as they visit various points in the Potter chronology and explore a few alternate realities, like the one where Ron and Hermione never got together.

Cursed Child is anti-filmable since a lot of it revolves around retooled past moments, and it works much better as a play, with different actors interpreting the lore from the movies and the books. J.K. Rowling has stated this will be her last journey into the Potterverse. She doesn’t have a whole lot of new things to say thematically – parental love is good, one person can make a difference, fascism is bad. She does offer some fascinating alternate takes on her source material, the kind of comments only she could make. She shows us glimpses of a heroic Snape marching toward his destiny, and a gutterpunk rebel Hermione living roughish. And she gives us a lovable, fortyish Potter, still happily married to Ginny, a slightly rumpled gumshoe of an auror, who struggles with his relationship with his son.


Definitely required reading for Potter addicts, and functions as a greatest-hits for the unfamiliar or those in need of a good refreshing. Has it really been twenty years since I first started reading these books?  They still seem like they only happened yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment