Thursday, February 2, 2017

Stuffing My Head and Kindle With Books in Preparation for Hugo Nominations

Movies:

Moana, then Rogue One, then Deadpool.

TV:

Westworld, even though some of it pisses me off. Not sure which episode.
I tried watching Stranger Things because it's getting buzz but I just couldn't get into it.

Books:

Lovecraft Country is my absolute favorite so far. Especially that wicked ending.

On my Kindle, awaiting reading, are the following:

Lizards & Lying Men by T. Thom Coyle.

A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar.
This was recommended by a friend. Samatar also has a Hugo eligible one called The Winged Histories so I'm going to read that first.

The Devourers by Indra Das.

Devil and the Bluebird by Jennifer Mason-Black - has a guitar on the cover. I'm a sucker for books with a guitar on the cover.

In The Shadow Of The Gods: ... by Rachel Dunne.
Since I may be sitting next to Ms. Dunne on a bookstore shelf some day, I'd kinda like to get an idea of what she's like.

Spiderlight by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Woohoo, more Tchaikovsky spiders!

The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.
This is also a book with African-American and Lovecraft themes, so let's see if it's as good as Lovecraft Country.

Borderline by Mishell Baker.
This story is getting a lot of buzz, it's an urban fantasy with a protagonist that has borderline personality disorder. I'm going to confess that I have a bit of a personal prejudice against borderline personality disorder due to bad encounters and antithetical worldviews, so I probably owe it to myself, in the spirit of neurodiversity, to read this. Maybe it'll make me more sympathetic to the thousands of BPD people out there who have never annoyed the crap out of me.















No comments:

Post a Comment