Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Review: Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert Silverberg by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro (Fairwood)

I couldn’t bring myself to vote for a Hugo for a book I hadn’t actually read and enjoyed, so I bought a copy of this one, and read it, and yes, I did enjoy it, very much.  I learned all kinds of things about this legendary guy who has been to all the Worldcons, and hung out with all the science fictional folk. 

One of the most astonishing things was that he leans conservative, despite living in the rather liberal East Bay. This made me even more determined to vote for him, just to send a message to the Puppies that it’s not actually their conservatism that rubs people the wrong way; Grampa Bob gets all kinds of honors and accolades in this rather liberal community. In fact, he won’t even write any more, attributing a lack of fluency with modern sensibilities. Reminder to self: go re-read some of Grampa Bob’s books.

He’s a brilliant guy, and he had some fascinating things to say about music, and libraries, and other writers. Such as Robert Sheckley, who is one of my science fictional heroes, a man who was ridiculously popular in the field during the fifties and is only vaguely remembered today.

I loved this book so much that I’m not even going to read any of the other Related Works unless they are included in the freebie pack. It’s hard to imagine a work more related than this.




No comments:

Post a Comment