Wednesday, May 10, 2017

I'm not finished talking about Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole yet

I’m getting lots of hits on my Israel Kamakawiwo’ole page lately

It made me wonder if the post was offensive out of the context of the original discussion. I hope not, but if you find any offense in there, it was accidental. I feel protective about Iz and I don’t like it when people judge him on a physical level without taking his amazing voice into account. The recordings are all equalized and balanced so that you don’t realize how much sheer power that voice had, and how resonant it still is. 

I’m headed to the Big Island in September to check out Hawaiicon, and I imagine I’ll hear Iz’s voice playing in the airport when I arrive. Maybe he’ll even be on the in-flight music before we touch down. I might hear his music in the car rental place, or in the hotel lobby, or when I’m channel surfing the local TV, or in restaurants, or on the car radio. I’ll definitely hear it, that much is a guarantee. They might stop playing Iz’s music in the islands someday, but not for a while.

In case you’re also starting to develop a taste for that voice, here are a couple more favorites: 'Opae E and Coney Island Washboard Rondelay (cuts off a little early but it was the only version I saw on YouTube, so if you like it you'll just have to get the album).





No comments:

Post a Comment