Tuesday, June 13, 2023

AI Statement

The Science Fiction Writers Association just distributed a statement on AI use, and I concur with it.

My own AI statement is as follows:

I played with an AI art generator for the cover of Star Language. It was fun, but I probably won't do it again. The end result cover consists of a collage including one AI-produced element, a woman's face, which went through several different AI processes prior to final. None of my other books contain AI-generated elements.

I do not use AI to produce text. All of my books are written entirely by me.

I do not dislike AI-produced art and feel it will eventually have a legitimate place in our society. I also think that any creators whose work is sampled by AIs for material for which someone else is trying to profit have an excellent reason to pursue legal claims. And probably don't want me serving on their jury.

I harbor lots of opinions about the relative merits of most art produced with the aim of making profit, and its resemblance to art produced entirely by machines, but I'll discuss that at length in my (entirely human-produced) art.

No comments: